Tuesday, March 12, 2013

CrossFit Open Workout 13.1 Recap

This is my first year competing in the CrossFit Open. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty anxious about the whole deal. I want to do well; I want to make my gym proud. Mostly, I don't want to screw up.

I began my Saturday morning around midnight as I was having some trouble sleeping. I have terrible performance anxiety and often don't sleep the night before a race. My best half marathon was run on no sleep and pure adrenaline. Thankfully, I did get to bed around 1am. I was up early in the light hours to teach Mo-Yo (mobility yoga) and the CrossFit 101 course at our gym. It was fortunate I was there early and worked up a sweat moving the Mo-yo through sun salutations and downward facing dog. I was lose and warmed up by the time 101 was complete. As the open workout competitors trickled in, so did about 60 spectators!
Holy cow I was not anticipating a huge audience for the open workout. I knew most of the folks arriving and was happy to see my babies and Mr. Dad wander in around 12:15. Life is easier when family is close by. Nerves aside, the task of judging the men was upon us. We planned to go in heats, each competitor validating another with the eyes of a judge and a score sheet for reps. Once we were all warmed up and measured on our burpee plates we welcomed the crowd and went over the regulation standards of the workout.
The men went first...thank goodness. They all tore into the 40 burpees side by side and really challenged each other. You would be amazed at the size variations in our gym. The men range from 135 lbs and 5'6 tall to 230lbs and over 6 feet tall. The women are no different, I'm 6'1 and 187lbs and our smallest athlete is easily half my size.
The guys finished up and collapsed on the rubber with plenty of cheers and encouragement from the crowd.
Then it was the ladies.

I kept pace through the first 40 burpees, at least until the last 10. I feel like they caught me then. The 45lb snatches were a chance for me to catch my competitors and I blew through them in good time. I did put the bar down at rep 15 because I had a planned rest there. After finishing my snatch work it was back into burpees and things went downhill fast. If you have never done burpees, I challenge you to try 10. Tell me how that feels...
My set of 30 burpees were slow. I had to catch up on the 75lb snatch to hold pace with the other ladies in the gym and reach my goal before time ran out. Once I got the weight on the bar the snatches came fast. I only had 3 minutes to knock them out so...I had to push.
I reached and passed the rep count of another beside me and knew I had to put the hammer down. Frustration really set in as I saw the clock hit the final 30 seconds and I still had 10 reps of snatch to go. I was able to knock out 4 more to finish with a score of 124 to finish. totally gassed.
I'm pleased with my efforts in the first workout but, sad I didn't hit my goal of getting through the set of 20 burpees following the #75 snatch set. I am hopeful we continue the next few weeks with bar work and less body weight stuff...

I celebrated later with one of my favorite beers. I could lift the can...and not much else.
Any guesses on what 13.2 will be? My bets are on double unders... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!