Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Paleo Southern Style Bacon And Shrimp Over Cauliflower Smash
Grits are typically a no-no due to the high sugar and corn content. Not to mention most grit products on the market are heavily processed. BUT I LOVE GRITS. Creamy and salty with a dense pudding texture, grits are where this gal wants to be. Cauliflower, did it right!
Shrimp and bacon are an awesome combo to matter what. How could I NOT make this delicious?
Here is what you need:
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup organic chicken stock
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coriander
chili pepper flakes (to taste)
4 slices of thick cut bacon
1 pound uncooked peeled deveined medium shrimp
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil
2. Add chopped cauliflower (make sure you remove the green stem)
3. Boil cauliflower for 10 minutes
4. Strain and return to pot
5. Add chicken stock, 1 clove of chopped garlic, salt
6. Blend with hand blender or in a blender till you have the texture you want
7. finish with cracked pepper and coriander
Southern Style Bacon and Shrimp
1. Cook bacon to desired crispiness and keep some fat for reserve
2. Add 1-2 tbs bacon fat, chopped onion, and diced garlic clove to a pan heated to medium
3. Allow the onion and garlic to soften but watch closely. Garlic will burn easily and it will get a bitter taste. Be patient with garlic.
4. Add shrimp and allow the mix to cook for 7-10 minutes or until shrimp is pink an firm.
5. Toss with crumbled bacon
6. Finish with chili pepper flakes
I found a real desire for some collards or spinach to finish the meal. In hindsight, I would make a green on the plate a priority! Even though you are getting a healthy dose of veg with the cauliflower, the greens help to cleans the palette.
Please let me know what you think of this recipe and if you try it in your own kitchen!