Thursday, March 21, 2013
Paleo Spaghetti Over Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti sauce is really very simple to make and the jar sauce is to full of sugar and salt, it really makes more sense to make it from scratch! I make a large batch that feeds my family for a few lunches following the meal. As for spaghetti squash, it is really easy to do right. I prefer it to noodles and even Mr. Dad is on board with it. In addition, I like a big plop of spinach or green beans as a side dish.
Here is what you need to start your sauce:
2 big cans of diced tomatoes 28oz
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion diced
2 large garlic cloves minced
1 cup quartered mushrooms
1 tbsp sweet basil leaves dried
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp thyme
pepper flakes to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1-2 tsp cinnamon (this sounds strange but I like the unique savory taste it brings)
1 lb ground beef 80/20
1. Warm olive oil to medium heat and add garlic and onion to soften
2. Add both cans of diced tomatoes
3. Add all spices and lower heat. Simmer for 15 minutes
4. Blend sauce with hand mixer or in blender to desired consistency
5. Brown beef in alternate pan. Drain. Add to sauce
6. Add mushrooms and allow mix to cook on low for another 15-20 minutes
So, what about that squash?
Totally doable folks!
Here's what you do:
1. Purchase a 3-4 pound squash
2. Slice both ends at 1/4 inch off each side
3. Slice down the middle and remove seeds and guts
4. Preheat oven to 350
5. Place each half of the squash in a roasting pan filled with 1/2 inch water
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until ends are tender and flaky to fork
Once you remove the squash from the oven, allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes out of the water bath
Take fork to inner flesh and scrape squash into noodles! Easy!! The squash makes a ton of noodles. There is usually around 4-5 cups of noodles in each sweet squash. The texture will me slightly crunchy but delightful. you can add olive oil and salt to give a richer texture and taste but I like mine simple.
That's it! A fantastic, tasty, easy meal the whole family will enjoy.