Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Paleo Southwest Butternut Squash Soup


Southwest butternut squash soup was first brought to my family about 15 years ago. My step mother does not like turkey and she wanted something more interesting for Thanksgiving. It was a win!
I have posted this on my other blog www.atallerorder.com and it constantly shows on my instagram in the winter. Its a rainy, cold day in Texas today so I want to make it!! ALL I can say is vegetables have never tasted better than in this soup. Yummers.

Southwest Butternut Squash Soup is amazing. Amazing. It brings together the sweet and savory and plops them into a creamy warm mushy wonderful soupy delight. My favorite is the mix of onion with the squash.  Here is what I do:

1 cup chopped Vidallia (yellow) onion
2 tbsp butter
2 cups chicken broth
2-3 pound butternut squash- pared, cubed, and seeded
2 pears of your choice (I use Bosc) chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground Coriander
1 cup coconut milk

Garnish: toasted pecans and sliced pear

The squash:
I do this just like a spaghetti squash
preheat oven to 350
Cut squash lengthwise and scoop the seeds out
place face down in 1/2 inch deep pan full of water
cook for 20 minutes or until soft
peel flesh and cube the orange stuff inside

Then:
Cook and stir butter and onions until tender
Add broth, squash, pears, and seasoning
Heat to a boil
Reduce and simmer for 15-20 minutes

Blend and add coconut milk and garnish when ready to eat.

Makes six 1 cup servings
I have done this recipe with sweet potatoes too. Excellent

This soup is better the next day, you will be licking the bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!