Friday, July 5, 2013

A Long Month Update

To say the last month was eventful would be the largest understatement of my life. In addition to a long trip to Colorado, a new home purchase, a move, and the onset of summer, life has twisted and turned in good ways and bad. Thankfully, we are settling into a grove for the summer and life is returning to a slower pace. I forgot how much I love small town life. So, with that, I will give you a picture highlight reel of many of the events in our lives during June. I will be posting on a regular schedule now that we have wifi and time to breathe!!

After my experience at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, I spent a few days at CrossFit SoCo with this pretty lady. Loree is my favorite trainer in Colorado Springs and I visit her when I can. She talks about poop.

Here is one of the WODs I completed while there. I loved being able to keep up with all the high altitude athletes!!


While in Colorado, I was missing Texas. We ate at Rudy's BBQ often. Its one of the few TRUE Texas BBQs outside of the great state.

I worked on Double Unders and plenty of cool afternoon WODs in the back yard

Ate some amazing  Paleo hamburger set ups in Denver...

Did some impromptu yoga moves to impress the in laws

Then this happened.
This smoke plume is the very beginning of the Black Forrest Fire in Colorado this summer. This picture was taken as I raced back to help evacuate the home my husband knew his whole life. His family had lived there for 40 years and it was quickly looking like it would not make it through the blaze.

Fortunately, my husband and his parents were home at the time. They were able (in a somewhat dazed fashion) to get a few pictures and a suitcase of clothes. They truly did not think the forest would burn the 5 miles  down the road from its origin to their home.They escaped just as the fire was cresting the hill east to their part of the forest. I stayed in town because all roads were blocked going into the forest. We met up at a restaurant thinking the sprinkler running on the roof might save it. I had bought a select pack of craft beer in the mountains and figured it was not enough to take the edge off the stress of the situation. I never went to buy more beer and we didn't drink that six pack. We just hoped. We slept on living room floors in hopes of good news in the morning.

 We didn't get good news.
The picture below marks where the 10 acre home site of our family is. The circle is where the home used to stand. To the right is another home site of our family. In all, 9 of our family members lost 99% of there belongings and their homes burned completely.
What was amazing about the people of Colorado Springs, the Facebook Community, and my extended family and friends is, we were saturated with overwhelming support from the moment people heard the news. It is a testimony to the kindness of others and the realization for my family...we are worth helping. Faith in humanity restored! We received so many donations in the form of clothes, toys, toiletries, and monetary funds. My cousin in Seattle sent over 200 pounds of children and women's clothing!
Paninos Restaurant extended a warm welcome to us the day we got the news. Random people heard our story and handed money from there pocket in the check out line...not allowing anyone to pay for toothpaste or new underwear.

On a lighter note, that same day, we were treated to the long awaited news of our new niece or nephew. We have been hoping for a child for my brother and sister in law for close to ten years and FINALLY, the are expecting. The news it is a girl is a shock (family of all boys for Mr. Dad) and huge smiles erupted as the pink balloons jumped from the box at the reveal BBQ we attended (a very cute idea for Mom and Dad to Be).


We had to leave to return home to Texas the day after the news about the fire. It was a blessing, because we felt like we could not help the situation. The family had to start the process of finding a place to stay, insurance, and rebuilding some sense of normal...

My welcome home WOD was awesome!

Letting off stress from our devastating news was necessary. 

We went to a wedding on the Mexican border

I wore my first red dress. I also had heels on making me at least 6'6. For a wedding on the boarder, that made me the tallest person in town by about 5 inches.

I began going to the 5am class at the gym because CrossFit Kids takes up so much of my day. It is impossible to workout, coach, teach, and keep my own children sane for 5 hours at the gym. I don't mind early...

We like hanging around the gym...

We try and do some hiking when the mornings are cool.

Giant turkey cube and avocado salads with pico are a weekly MUST!!

We moved into our new home last week. We picked the day it was 107 to do it! My sweet friend Miss Janice took the kids on an outing to lunch and got their toes done at the salon. That's something I would never do with them and they loved it.
We made three trips with a 26 foot truck. Our awesome new neighbor Andre came by and helped load and unload the second trip. Had he not, I think we would still be transporting. It was awful. Good thing my headband was epic.

We went to another wedding. I wish I got more pictures at this one. I wore a great little blue dress that didn't touch my body (amazing and required because it was outside and 104 at the reception! But they had cocktails during the ceremony under the trees. Best wedding ever!


since our move I have only been able to find ONE Awesome sock. I'm heartbroken. Calling all Awesome Sock providers!! I need a new pair!

I have these till then. I wore them a few times, and of course on the fourth of July!

The Fourth was filled with a Holiday WOD at the gym, a few hours of needed rest, chicken, and FIREWORKS!! our town put on the first display in a VERY long time last night. It was so fun to see the kids enjoy the show. Good friends, good food, and a great night!


Life has been a roller coaster. Tears, sweat, and smiles a plenty in the last month. All I can say is I have missed you my dear readers! You all inspire me to keep pushing to be my best and to learn more. To cook better meals, to write better stories, and create the best NOT SO PALEO life I can. Thanks for taking a look at the update and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!