Monday, July 15, 2013

Mobility Mondays: Front Rack Mobility Sequence From Eat Big Lift Big

I have been following the most fantastic blog recently, Eat Big Lift Big is a solid instruction mobility weightlifting nutrition site devoted to getting you better at stuff.
 I came across this mobility sequence on the site last week and used it in my mobility class Saturday. In addition, Mr. Dad has agreed to let me build him from the ground up in proper Olympic lifting and Power lifting. We have begun by focusing primarily on good form and muscle memory through the technical aspects of lifting. His hip mobility and upper thoracic spin are limited but surprisingly, the front rack positioning has improved ten fold in a week. I will attribute it to the following video and my mean nature, contorting him into uncomfortable stretches.
Having a high front rack position is essential for front squat, cleans, and general awesomeness.
Here is the video:



Some of these moves will take some serious dedication to have the range of motion exhibited, but almost anyone can get started on the sequence. It takes about 20 minutes to get through with proper technique and I added a foot and LAX ball roll at the end for good measure. Now that I roll my feet everyday, I can tell when I really need it. My poor feet thank me as soon as they even ctch a hint of the LAX ball coming near them.

In other news, a friend and I are signing up for the 31 Heroes WOD competition on August 3rd.
I am so honored to be a part of this movement for our first competition. Mr. Dad and I have lost several friends over the years due to their heroic work in the Armed forces and I want to give back to those families.
Here is a quick write-up on the event:

The WOD

31 Heroes 2013 – August 3, 2013 at a Crossfit Affiliate Near You.
“31 Heroes”
AMRAP 31 minutes (As Many Reps As Possible)
8 Thrusters (155/105#)
6 Rope Climbs (15 ft. ascent)
11 Box Jumps (30/24″)
This is a Partner WOD – Partner #1 will perform the work listed above. Partner #2 will run 400m with a sandbag (45/25). Once Partner #2 returns from the run, Partner #1 will grab the sandbag and begin their 400m, while Partner #2 continues work wherever #1 left off.
Score is your total # of reps
This WOD was created specifically to honor the 30 men and one dog that gave their lives for our country on August 6, 2011. It is 31 minutes long—one minute in remembrance of each hero. The rep scheme is 8-6-11—the date of their ultimate sacrifice. Finally, this is a partner WOD. The men who gave their lives were from multiple branches of our military, working together as a team.  In the workout you and your team member will constantly be taking the load from each other providing much needed support and relief. We realize that no physical sacrifice made during a workout can come close to the sacrifice our brave heroes made, but we consider this WOD a CrossFitters “moment of silence.” This is how we can honor those that gave all in the name of freedom.
We have been working hard to perfect the rope climb foot holds and decents allong with those super heavy thrusters! Holy cow that is a lot of weight. Anyway, training continues. 
Food soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback!